Saturday, October 04, 2008

Plus ça change...

1.  Our older daughter is still only 6 but has decided that she is a fan of McFly.  It could be worse, I suppose (she could be into R&B or some awful sub-genre of headache-inducing dumph dumph dumph dance music), but at this rate she'll be an emo by 9 and then by 12 have renounced all modern music and spend her time digging round ebay for rare vinyl.  Seems a bit accelerated to me, but then I'm old and grumpy.  And I think that nothing has been produced in popular music in the last 23 years that is better than The Smiths' The Queen is Dead.  (The Stone Roses' first album comes close, but is still a way behind.)

But...

2. The kids at her school play StarWars in the playground (and still often say 'life-savers' rather than 'lightsabres') and the boys of 6 and 7 years old still want to be Luke Skywalker rather than Han Solo.  I wonder how old they will be before they see the light...

No comments: